Friday, March 2, 2018

BBQ Honey and Buffalo Wings with Healthy Sweet Potato Fries


It's Friday!!

I hope everyone had a good week! Mine was fairly good I had a few bumps in the road but overall it was good. If you follow me on Instagram you will know that I made a recipe Wednesday night that I did not like. My boyfriend thought it was good but I was not so pleased. Honestly, sometimes I really struggle with cooking. I don't think I'm the best at it and I've made a lot of failures, one time I tried to make fried rice without cooking the rice first. Like come'on that's just stupid. Obviously, I have come a long way from that but I am still not a chef. Cooking is a learning process and you're not going to be busting out grandma's famous pot pie your first try. 

Needless to say, the dinner I made was a broccoli rice and chicken skillet. It had artichoke hearts in it and roasted red peppers. It also had chicken stock and was covered in mozzarella cheese. I found the recipe on Earth Fare so I will link to it here. I simply didn't like the taste of it and I think I put too much chicken stock in it. Chris loved it though, and it's hard to get him to eat something he doesn't like, so maybe it wasn't a complete disaster. 
On a happier note I decided to make wings Thursday night! I love wings mainly because I love buffalo sauce. They are super easy to make and great for a relaxing night watching movies. It's the perfect finger food, as long as you don't mind getting a little dirty.
To go with the wings I made homemade sweet potato fries, which were amazing and I will continue to make! I usually buy frozen but these homemade ones just had something extra that the frozen ones are missing. It was also cheaper to buy a bag of sweet potatoes than a bag of frozen sweet potato fires. Another side I made was an apple cranberry cole slaw, which was good and not nearly as vinegar tasting as regular coleslaw. Finally, I made a vegan homemade ranch dressing! It just turned out to be vegan because the mayonnaise I used was vegan but I myself am not vegan. 
















Here are the recipe details:

Wings:
I buy 1/2 lbs of the little drumsticks from Publix and then 1/2 lbs of regular wings. 
Coat the wings with 1 teaspoon each of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
Lay on a baking sheet side by side and put in the oven for 35 minutes at 375 turning once.

Buffalo Sauce: 
1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot original buffalo sauce 
2 tbsp of butter 

BBQ Honey Sauce: 
Mix together 1 cup of hickory bbq sauce (of your liking), 2 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of ketchup, 1/4 cup of Sriracha sauce, and 1 tsp of garlic powder. 

Sweet Potato Fries: 
Peel two large sweet potatoes (or in my case three small ones), cut into thin slices, toss in mixture of 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper. 
Lay them out on a baking sheet making sure all are touching the bottom. Cook for 30 minutes at 450. 

Homemade Vegan Ranch Sauce:
Mix together and refrigerate till use:
1 cup of vegan mayonnaise 
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar  
1/8 cup almond milk or other non-diary milk
1 tsp onion powder 
1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp dried parsley  

Cranberry Apple Cole Slaw:
Mix together a cole slaw mix, a handful of dried cranberries, and one cored and diced gala apple. 
Mix together 3/4 cup of plain greek yogurt (I used Siggi's), 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the dressing and cole slaw together and refrigerate till serving time. 

Let me know if you guys make any of these dishes I would love to hear about it!!

Also watch this video to see my InstaStory for the day and how I made this meal! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @soratemplates